Saturday, February 27, 2016

August, Safe Spaces


Words that I needed to look up.
Looking up these words really did help me understand the passage a lot more.

Reflection

Safe Space is written by Gerri August this passage talks about the views of LGBT in schools and the community. The article talks about that there is not enough exposure going on in classrooms and communities. In classrooms, this is the place where students are taught to tolerate, explore and embrace subjects and people who are different from them and respect that. People are always going to be different and we learn that in grade school but, in school curriculums there is not a lot of teachers who are teaching students about the LGBT community and how they are the same like me and you. There is not enough exposure to the LGBT community and there has been a lot of backlash because of it. Kids and teenagers are being bullied because of their sexual orientation. Seventy-eight percent of gay (or believed to be gay) teens are teased or bullied in their schools and communities. The percentage of students getting bullied because of their sexual orientation is crazy because of bullying students can develop anxiety, depression, and thoughts of suicide. About 30 percent of all completed suicides have been related to sexual identity crisis. Not only that but students sometimes even drop out of school because of being bullied or the fear of it.  This is reasons why students want to "stay in the closet" because of this type of backlash on the LGBT community. 

We live in a society that the norm is heteronormative assuming that that everyone is or should be straight. Teachers in the article do including books that refer to the LGBT community and teaching that to their students. This is the first steps to opening up a student's mind so they can be exposed and accept it for how it is.  These steps of just teaching them that there are two moms and two dads who offer the same love and caring as heterosexual couples. 

Some of the thing that caught my eye reading this and that I can relate to was that in history they never taught  me about the LGBT community. It is true we are taught about the oppression of slavery and the Civil War which was one of the bloodiest wars we had in this country. Also, Martin Luther King who is a famous leader of the civil rights movement well known for his I have a Dream speech about how he wants integration between the white and the black everyone knows that because we were taught that. The only time I learned about the history of the LGBT community was in Highschool. I was in an acting group part of the history program. For a competition, we learned about what the LGBT community and what they had done to get their rights throughout the years. Examples like Stone Wall, Harvey Milk, AIDS Epidemic, Dont ask Dont tell policy and a lot more.  Finally, we have marriage equality in all of the United States which is something the community has been fighting for! But overall I really enjoyed this passage. Opened my eyes to how these little steps can make a huge difference in a child.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with many of your points! I think society needs to get away from the notion that being heterosexual is normal. Kids will feel more accepted if every lifestyle is accepted. I agree when you said that using books that refer to the LGBT community to teach students is the first step in opening up their minds to make them more accepting. A lot of students don't get this education of acceptance at home so it is important for teachers to include it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It also reminded me of SWAMP because of straightness being such a norm in society. But, it is true these first steps can change a student in so many ways.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post Amy and definitely agree with what you had to say. It's totally true that little things can go a long way. I can relate to you because I wasn't exposed to the LGBT community until High School. Since it wasn't a topic that was talked about in my house, I really had no exposure to it. I started to see posters and then my best friend came out to me and from there I was exposed to it. I wish I was exposed to it while I was younger because I had such a strong opinion and it was just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katherine! I also was not exposed to it at home because my mom is a traditional Spanish christian women in her country being a homosexual is such a taboo. I also see where you are coming my high school was very supportive when it came to the LGBT community! So I had a lot more exposure the more the years when on! I also love the personal connection you have with this community it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I really enjoyed reading your post! I agree with you especially on the lack of exposure of LGBT in history throughout school. I think that it is so important for teachers to speak of it and welcome it in their classrooms. In the article, the author even mentions ways that teachers can do it more indirect ways. I also love the pictures you included they are very powerful! :)

    ReplyDelete