Tuesday, March 15, 2016

In The Service of What?


Words that I needed to look up to help me out.

Implementation
Altruism

Extended Comments

 For this blog, I decided that I will be writing extending comments on Ashley's blog on In The Service Of What? (Kahne & Westheimer).

In Ashley's blog, she is talking about The Met high school in Providence being related to the article which is completely true. Ashley has a sentence that basically describes The Met which is "In this article, the authors argues that the service learning experience improves communities and enriches classrooms withing the moral, political and intellectual domains." I personally agree with this because this is The Mets motto. The whole point of internships is about making a difference in the community but also having the students learn more about their passions and themselves. When I attended The Met high school at the end of each year there had to be an LTI project. LTI means Learning Through Interest so this project had to benefit the community the location that the student was interning at or the school.  An example of a LTI project I did was creating a zine about self-harm and depression. My internship was at an art studio in Providence called AS220 there I learned how to used an offset printer and the steps of how to make zines. This became my LTI project because it was a way for me to inform the students in my building to be aware of self-harm and how to pervent it and or ways of getting out of depression. This was how I was giving back to my community also giving a presentation in front of my whole building about depression. Depression is definitely something that is very serious with young adults and teens and this was a way to impact my peers that these issues need to be discussed. From that project, the environment did become a lot more open with students emotions and if there was ever an issue there was always someone and a counselor to talk to. 
This was some of the reasons I really enjoyed this article because these concepts of service learning are something that really do benefit both parties the people being helped and the ones who are helping.
Connections: This article does make connections with Johnson writing piece. If people of privilege have the resources to help the unfortunate it can really make a difference in someone's life. This is what service learning is mainly about sharing knowledge and helping others out. Being able to make a positive change.

No comments:

Post a Comment