Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Oakes Why Schools Need To Take Another Route


Hyperlinks

The article I decided to look at was "Why Schools Need To Take Another Route" by Oakes. This article does hit a lot of great points it made me think about how I was thought in school. Like how the teachers made me feel or where they enthusiastic or not. Looking back it kind of depends on the situation I was in. But, besides this article was a bit confusion to me. I had to read it a couple of times but this article represents how students classes are stereotyped and how some of these children are put into different groups. These groups range from higher placement to the lower ones. Oakes is explaining how the higher placement students classes are treated a lot differently academically and personally.

1. The gap between them and more successful students has grown wider  not only in achievements but in attitudes toward school and toward their own ability to succeed.
In this article Oakes talks about how now a day students are being tracked so based on their social class they are placed in schools with fewer learning opportunities. For example, Oakes talks about how in school with higher placement will have more challenging classes like literature reading pieces that will help them for college-level exams and math. While with the lower placement classroom will only get a basic reading assignment and basic math just to get them by. In the link above the article talks about how much this education gap has grown throughout time. One thing that caught my eye from this article was this "Even the best performers from disadvantaged backgrounds, who enter kindergarten reading as well as the smartest rich kids, fall behind over the course of their schooling." I feel like this quote does relate to what Oakes is talking about in his article about how social class has a big thing to do with education. This quote also reminded me of Kozol because when it does really depends on where you come from. That these students from the lower placement will have to try so much harder to make it somewhere higher.

2.  Creating opportunities for all kids alike.


In the Link above it discussed about how class is now more important than race in school systems. Harder in ways that students who go to private school have resources and extra subjects like music, foreign language way to future a child's education. In some public schools this does become a little harder to obtain. Here is a quote from this article that sums up how wage gaps affect students. "Income has become a much stronger predictor of how well kids do in school, Race is about as good a predictor as it was 30 years ago. It's more that income has gotten more important, not that race has gotten less important." Some of the ways that Oakes talks about making these opportunities available for everyone is making it inclusive for all students. Where lessons should be taught with meaning, lessons being relatable to real life, complex and something that the kids can take from. This is a way for students not to be held back from their ideas due to skill differences. While I was reading this part of the article reminded me of my high school. A majority of what we were taught was about the real world. Of course, we had academics in our curriculum but what I learned in the internship that I obtained over the years taught me so much more about how the world works. It is something that is different from the usual school but it was complex. Some of the things that happened at my internships made me learn to think outside of the box.

Points to share/ Discuss: Why is it that this type of situations are still happening in 2016 I just find it strange we are such a devolped country. What are some steps to take to make this gap smaller? What if students were all granted the same education no matter what social class they fall in? How would we be able to accomplish that?

1 comment:

  1. Amy I find myself asking the same questions. It is very frustrating to have your eyes open to injustice and feel like you cannot do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete